Saturday, July 6, 2013

Behold, Your Little Ones

Behold, Your Little Ones

"One of the greatest influences a person can have in this world is to influence a child," Rosemary M. Wixom (Primary General President) says. It seems that every general conference has a talk about treating children with love. I remember listening to Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk about "protecting the children" with a gaping mouth. I was sure that children weren't treated like that. They couldn't be! My home had always been a place that I ran to when someone was being mean or when I just needed to hug my mom and see somone smile. But as I've grown older (yeah I know I'm still a teenager mom) I've seen more children hurt by adults then I ever imagined.

This talk by Sister Wixom was incredible. She talked all about how kind words can work miracles on children. Christ never spoke with a harsh voice and neither should we. A calm demeanor will show your child that you love them and want what's best for them. She also gives the advice to "pray to know your child's needs". Heavenly Father is the ultimate parent and he knows EXACTLY what your child needs. Ask him! He'll tell you! I think one of the most important things we can do to show our children we love them is to "disconnect and listen". My dad was incredible at this.He'd be working on the computer, I'd say something to him, and he'd instantly put the laptop away and focus all his attention on me.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks' "Protecting the Children" talk is very blunt, and it should be! Children should never be abused in any way. "And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea"  The other day we were knocking on some one's house and a mom and a daughter opened the door. Right as they did, I stepped back and fell right off the porch onto the ground, flat on my back. I think I must have scared the mom because I was laughing so hard, and she quickly told her daughter to "get in the house". Parents you have a right to protect your children! They are not your children, they are God's children that we have the joy and privilege to raise on this earth. Do not take that lightly.
 
Children deserve to be loved in every way (that doesn't mean you have to buy all of Toys R Us for them) and they need to be shown love constantly! Tell them you love them. Smile and sing with them. Give them time to share their feelings with you, and listen sincerely. The way a child is raised affects generations to come. Let Heavenly Father be a parent alongside you during the most crucial, and enjoyable time of a person's life.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment