Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thy Will Be Done


"Cognitive dissonance". That AP psychology term has been running through my head my entire mission. Sometimes I accidentally blurt it out completely off topic... just kidding. Cognitive dissonance means to have two conflicting ideas going through your head. It causes great distress and makes you just want to bury your head in the sand! Yesterday I was able to attend a great mission conference where the spirit taught me loud and clear that I needed to a line my will to God's will. I've had a nasty ear infection the past few weeks and yesterday it hurt to even move my jaw, so I took that as a sign that I needed to just listen for the entire meeting instead of talking nonstop to other missionaries like usual. He knows what he's doing.

Throughout my mission I've been faced with the constant battle between the natural man's will and God's will... hence the cognitive dissonance. I realized now more than ever that I can't be fully happy unless I'm giving myself over whole heartedly to my Heavenly Father. He has a plan for each one of us and it's perfect. There's absolutely no flaw in it! The only way that we'll ever be able to enjoy all the blessings that he has in store for us is by submitting ourselves to Him. "Thy will be done, not mine."

Franklin D. Richards says "As we apply “Thy will be done, not mine” in our lives, we will likewise move toward perfection and true happiness. But how can we know God’s will in order to make our life conform? The Savior said, “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” Live so that the Holy Ghost will guide and direct you.Seek to grow in knowledge, wisdom, and understanding by continuous study and contemplation of the words of Christ and those whom God has appointed to teach and instruct us.And pray always, remembering the promise given to us: “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you. …”As we live in this type of environment, we will know God’s will and have the desire and courage to conform."

So now that I've tried to use a lot of big words in this post (had to look up most of them) I'm going to end on a simpler note. Heavenly Father knows us inside and out. He knows exactly what we need, and He always will. Let Him take control and you will be the happiest you have ever been. You'll be filled with hope! You'll feel like you just won the last House Cup! Pray to have the desire and courage to change your will to His. I know He'll change you because He's changed me:)

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1972/10/thy-will-be-done-o-lord?lang=eng



No comments:

Post a Comment