Thursday, June 20, 2013

Faith Like A Seed

 
A friend gave us a little basil plant to take care of out here (because it's the closest thing to a pet that we're allowed), and we came home at lunch time to it being completly wilted! I though for sure it was gone, but my companion wasn't about to give up on it! She put it back in the shade and we went on our merry way. That night we came back and to my shock, the plant had come back to life! It was standing strong and firm in it's cute little pot in the shade.
 
Elder Holland (an apostle in the LDS church) gave an incredible talk this last general conference about faith and its stages of growing for each of us. In Alma 32 (the most rockin' chapter ever), Alma compares faith to a mustard seed. In Elder Holland's talk, he does the same thing.
"hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes. Jesus said, “If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.” The size of your faith or the degree of your knowledge is not the issue—it is the integrity you demonstrate toward the faith you do have and the truth you already know."
 
This talk changed my life and helped me to know that I just need to go off of the faith that I DO have right now, and eventually my mustard seed of faith will grow into a beautiful weeping willow tree of faith (had to throw a HP reference in somewhere). Go read this talk right now! It's amazing.
 
And since I've written a novel today, I'll keep going so you have to read even more:) Our poor little wilted basil plant was not too far gone for saving! The same as with our testimonies. We may go through times in our life where our faith wavers, or we doubt things. Do not fear! I've been there, and I can tell you personally that with a little spiritual TLC, your faith can regrow right back and grow on. Read you scriptures and pray everyday. Don't miss a day of church! Ask Heavenly Father to "help your unbelief", and most importantly be patient with yourself. If you're doing the right things, your testimony will only grow up.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, the picture's a little blurry. It's a seed in his hand... in case you couldn' tell haha. Or her hand...?

    ReplyDelete