Friday, October 25, 2013

Mental Illnesses

A Mental Battle
 
"I wish to speak to those who suffer from some form of mental illness or emotional disorder, whether those afflictions be slight or severe, of brief duration or persistent over a lifetime. We sense the complexity of such matters when we hear professionals speak of neuroses and psychoses, of genetic predispositions and chromosome defects, of bipolarity, paranoia, and schizophrenia. However bewildering this all may be, these afflictions are some of the realities of mortal life, and there should be no more shame in acknowledging them than in acknowledging a battle with high blood pressure or the sudden appearance of a malignant tumor". You can imagine that this caught a lot of people's attention when Elder Holland began his talk, in the most recent general conference, with this paragraph. I'd be lying if I said  that I didn't instantly put down my Ramen Noodles and sit up straight to listen.
 
As I sit here, trying to think of what to write for this post, I can't help but think it would be better to just post Elder Holland's whole talk on here then call it quits. The spirit was so strong as he connected to millions of viewers around the world who knew the exact feelings he was talking about. We've all at some point either experienced, or known someone close who has suffered from, a mental illness. In this world today, it's not uncommon for someone to tell you they have depression. I've struggled with it throughout my life and I know that many of my friends and family have as well. 

"I have seen it come to an absolutely angelic man when his beloved spouse of 50 years passed away. I have seen it in new mothers with what is euphemistically labeled “after-baby blues.” I have seen it strike anxious students, military veterans, and grandmothers worried about the well-being of their grown children. And I have seen it in young fathers trying to provide for their families. In that regard I once terrifyingly saw it in myself."

1. Never lose faith in your Heavenly Father who loves you more than you can comprehend.
2. Faithfully pursue the time-tested devotional practices that bring the spirit of the Lord into your life.
3. Seek the counsel of those that hold keys for your spiritual well-being.
4. Ask for and cherish priesthood blessings.
5. Take the sacrament every week, and hold fast to the perfecting promises of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
6. Believe in miracles.
7. Remember the Savior’s own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead.
8. Watch for stress indicators, and when required TAKE A BREAK! Slow down and remember that fatigue is the common enemy of us all.
9. If things continue to be debilitating, seek the advice of reputable people with certified training, professional skills, and good values.
10. Remember to PRAY to your Father in Heaven. He listens.

"We are infinitely more than our limitations or our afflictions!" Holland says. I know that for sure. Depression can debilitate us at the most important times. I know that Heavenly Father knows when we are feeling this way. Christ suffered for not only our sins but all our sadness as well! Never think that you are alone in this world. You WILL get better if you turn to the Lord. That is a promise he has given us. Remember that depression, or any other mental illness does not define you. It shows that God believes you are strong enough to get through this trial. You can do it. Keep yourself busy in the service of the Lord and never give up home. The light will break through!


Elder Holland's Talk
http://bcove.me/z72c8hkc

Here's a link to a Mormon who struggles with a mental illness. Read her story!
http://mormon.org/me/9YMW/Krista

Other Depression/Mental Illness Links
http://www.lds.org/topics/disability/list/mental-illness
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng&query=depression




 

No comments:

Post a Comment