Friday, August 16, 2013

A Bible, we have got a bible!

Why the Book of Mormon?
 
531 pages. Who knew that 266 (doubled sided pages) pieces of flattened tree could change so many lives? No I'm not talking about any of the Harry Potter books (surprised right?), I am talking about a book that we, as missionaries, give out to anyone that makes eye contact with us; The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

"But Sister Vercillo! We have the bible! And in Revelations John clearly says that we should not accept any more word than what is in the bible!" you may be telling your computer right now. Good point! I'll have to admit that the first time I heard someone tell me that, I was really taken off guard. I looked it up and sure enough it says that! But rather than question my whole upbringing, I decided to use my detective skills and search for myself. And here's what I came up with. A list of "Did you knows?"
1. Did you know that there were books written after Revelations? By different people!
2. Did you know that John himself actually wrote more scripture after he wrote Revelations? John was clearly speaking about the prophecy that he was speaking of at that SPECIFIC time, and not referring to the entire bible.
3. Did you know that Moses wrote the same thing as John, but in the book of Deuteronomy way before John's time? That would mean that we'd have to throw out books in the Old Testament, and that the New Testament is completely against God's will.
4. Did you know that no where in the scripture in Revelations does it say that GOD cannot add to the scripture? It says that MAN cannot. "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."
5. Did you know that John saw, in a vision, an angel delivering the fullness of the gospel to the world? Revelations 14: 6 speaks of this. As Howard W. Hunter said, "The fact that John saw a messenger from God reveal anew a lost gospel negates the argument that further revelation could not be added to the Bible."

This research blew my mind. Wow! "So Sister Vercillo, it's cool that you found this and all that jazz but WHY do we even need a Book of Mormon? Doesn't the bible have it all?" Well have you ever heard of The Great Apostasy? In Amos 8: 11-12 it says, "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word and the Lord, and shall not find it." When the last apostle died, the spirit of the Lord was taken off the earth! It needed to be restored. I can testify that the Book of Mormon is that restoration.

 2 Nephi 29 says "Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea even upon the nations of the earth?
Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nations like unto another? Wherfore I speak the same words unto one nations like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together.
And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever... because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from the time henceforth and forever."

Factual evidence about the Book of Mormon is wonderful and all that, but the most important thing that I can tell you is this; Go read it right now. Right after you finish reading this, go pick up the Book of Mormon that's been sitting on the end table right where the elders left it, and read. I can tell you all day how it changed my life, and how it's true, but you will NEVER know until you read and ask God, in the name of Jesus Christ, if this book is true. I can promise you with ever fiber of my being (on every Harry Potter book I own) that this book is "the most correct book of any book on earth" like Joseph Smith Said. I know that it will change your life when you read it and abide by the precepts it speaks of. Not it MAY change your life, it WILL change your life. So click the red x on the right top of the screen (or left for you mac users) and go read. Make sure to start and end with a prayer. Why wait to have your life changed?

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1981/04/no-man-shall-add-to-or-take-away?lang=eng


No comments:

Post a Comment