Saturday, January 4, 2014

Be As a Little Child

To Become Childlike

Hibernation: to spend winter in close quarters in a dormant condition, as bears and certain other animals.

This is the only explanation I could come up with for why I haven't posted for a couple months. I thought it was cold in Utah, but man! It's freezing in Kentucky! Okay it's not a good excuse but my companion was playing with the dictionary and that ended up being the one we used...

Have you ever heard someone described as an "old soul?" My companion describes it as someone who has the wisdom as though he's experienced a lot, but is young in age. Well I've learned throughout my life that I have an old, grumpy, grandpa-like soul. Now this is by no means has the positive connotation that "old soul" has. Ever heard of being "childlike?" Yes, that, my dear friends, is what I'll be writing about today. My journey to try and become childlike.

Recently I was noticing that no matter where my companion and I went, the children were the same. Whether we were in a small house, with cockroaches running up and down the walls; or in a giant house with a maid cleaning in the background, the kids had the same desires, and reactions toward the gospel. They get so excited when you talk to them about Jesus, they want to share their candy with you, they give you best friend bracelets and do your hair, they climb all over you just wanting a hug and attention. But most of all, they listen intently when we talk about the gospel and they absolutely light up.

“Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3–4).

I'll always remember my mom coming home from church one afternoon and saying that my little brother (then 5 years old) had been crying during a song they were singing in primary. She asked him what was the matter and he replied "that song just makes tears come out of my eyes." Little children are the prime examples of the kind of disciples we need to be. They are so close to the spirit that they don't question any feeling they have. 

I struggled with my testimony and having faith for a lot of years. My brain would go into analytical mode and I'd come up with every excuse under the sun for why the gospel wasn't true. I couldn't just say, "I know it's true because I feel it in my heart and I've prayed about it." I needed proof. Rarely do children need proof for things. They accept the answer, without reasoning, and go on with life. They see another child that's cold outside, and they want to help them! They cry when they've done something bad and realize that they shouldn't have done that. And they love unconditionally.I was having a really hard time voicing my testimony at a family's house the other day. I ended up just breaking down and the whole lesson was a mess of blubbering tears. Their little daughter came and just stroked my head while I talked and asked why I was crying. It made me cry even more! Yes because I miss my mom, but also because I know that was a small act of Heavenly Father showing me what HE would do if He were here.

Jean A. Stevens says, "Have some of life’s experiences taken from you the believing heart and childlike faith you once had? If so, look around at the children in your life. And then look again. They may be children in your family, across the street, or in the Primary in your ward. If we have a heart to learn and a willingness to follow the example of children, their divine attributes can hold a key to unlocking our own spiritual growth."
 
 Becoming childlike is not easy. Especially when we feel hardened from the world, like Jean A. Stevens talked about. But it is doable! It is something that God has asked of us! I know that our lives will become so much easier when we just accept the things of the Lord and do His will. When we love those around us, as children do, and we give our self to Him. Follow your children's example!

"If we have a heart to learn and a willingness to follow the example of children, their divine attributes can hold a key to unlocking our own spiritual growth."
-Jean A. Stevens



http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/become-as-a-little-child?lang=eng
 

No comments:

Post a Comment